Monday, September 27, 2010

Stop and Let Go

Bitterness, I hate the word Bitterness.

Bitterness is a frozen form of latent anger and resentment. Bitterness grows out of our refusal, to let go when someone or something is taken from us. Bitterness is being constantly hurt by a memory and is holding onto a hurt until it has a hold on you.

It's interesting that bitterness hinges on US not on the "people or things" we feel are creating bitterness.
Only we can create bitterness. Listen to the meaning again...

Bitterness is a frozen form of latent anger and resentment. Bitterness grows out of OUR REFUSAL, TO LET GO when someone or something is taken from us. Bitterness is being constantly hurt by a memory and is HOLDING ONTO A HURT until it has a hold on you.

When I think Bitterness I think of Tom Nesbitt, a revivalist who traveled in the ministry with me who powerfully spoke on the issue of bitterness. He referred to bitterness like being stuck in tar.

At first, you think it's not that big of an issue...



Then you find the more you try to fight your way out...



the more tangled and trapped you are.




I would like to say, guess what friends, I've figured it all out! I will be bitter free for the rest of my life! However that dear friends would be a lie. You see I think of Bitterness more as quick sand. It's not until we stop wrestling that we can be free. The thing is even knowing all the answers, hearing all the sermons, knowing the scriptures to read, sometimes bitterness can be complicated. I say complicated because until we are ready to stop and deal with the root of our bitterness all the other stuff doesn't even scratch the surface.
I know all of us deal with bitterness in some shape or form. But sometimes for me I would rather just be bitter than dealing with the root problem.
I laugh at my son Kye because he more than anything he hates taking a bath. It's not that he hates to be clean, it's that a bath takes time out of his playing to do something that he doesn't think is fun. At least I did laugh about the situation until this morning when God found me in the same place, not wanting to stop and be cleansed from all the things I harbor in my heart. For me the hard part even more than taking time to deal with bitterness is the emotions and situations and memories you have to work through to get to the root of the problem. I'm a stuffer, and in the word's of one of my favorite characters Scarlett O'Hara, I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow. (I know I'm horrible)
Well my tomorrow has become today. I'm choosing to get on my face in front of the Almighty God and say, here I am, ready and willing. I'm not just leaving the bitterness at the cross but all the little things I harbor that cause the bitterness and yes it will be a battle not to want to pick them back up again, but I am trusting them to You. I'm letting go! Willing to do whatever it takes to start the healing process.
I encourage you to search your heart for the "little things" that could be rooting your life with bitterness.

There is FREEDOM in the cross.
Just stop wrestling and let go.






Whiter Than Snow
By: James Nicholson, 1872

Lord Jesus, I long to be perfectly whole;
I want Thee forever to live in my soul;
Break down every idol, cast out every foe;
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Whiter than snow, yes, whiter than snow;
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Lord Jesus, look down from Thy throne in the skies,
And help me to make a complete sacrifice;
I give up myself, and whatever I know;
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Whiter than snow, yes, whiter than snow;
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Lord Jesus, for this I most humbly entreat;
I wait, blessed Lord, at Thy crucified feet,
By faith, for my cleansing; I see Thy blood flow;
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Whiter than snow, yes, whiter than snow;
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Lord Jesus, Thou seest I patiently wait;
Come now, and within me a new heart create;
To those who have sought Thee,
Thou never said'st No;
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Whiter than snow, yes, whiter than snow;
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.



Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
- Psalm 51:10

1 comment:

  1. This is so powerful. I love the tar comparison... it sucks us in and before we know it, we can't move and we don't even know what's deep down at the source of our bitterness.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete